Tuesday, April 3, 2007

I watched the Oprah show today...

which I do alot of the time. It makes me think; challenges my worldview sometimes; and often makes me cry. Today was a crying day. She had on 3 people: one woman who started a pajama drive for foster kids; one man who started collecting books for 3rd world countries; and another woman who uses coupons to fund a food pantry. This is s super-simplified version of the show...so watch it tonight at 11 if you can.
Anyway, the kids that she was giving pajamas to didn't even know what pajamas were. It reminded me of her first Christmas show in Africa where the kids cried when they realized the new, clean underwear was for them. Oh man. We are soooo blessed here. Our kids (literally MY kids) complained when they got new underwear or socks in their stockings, unless they were FUN socks. And Joseph couldn't care less either way.
Not to get on a soap box...but I think I'm going to start to challenge the women at Girls Night Out to pay it forward each month.

Each month will be a pay it forward for a local charity...
starting with potted plants for a nursing home in April,
Mothers Day cards for kids to give them moms (for a local shelter) in May,
Beach toys for kids in June,
Sparklers and bubbles for batter women's shelter in July,
back to school items for a very poor school district in August

I think it's the least we can do, as we gather to celebrate the blessing of friendship and strength in each of us...and I'm thinking I'll take paypal donations for people who want to help and can't run over to Joliet to make it happen. We can change the world one month and one smile at a time. And what if all the scrappers we know made little cardstock frames for kids to have picture of their family at shelters and in foster care? Our little .19 prints would be such a comfort...so...I think I found that seed that the preacher was talking about on Sunday...

I double dog dare ya to join me...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowie Ger.....
not just a DARE...but a DOUBLE DOG DARE!!!!
Let's do it!! Great idea~
GNO helping reach hearts for Jesus!
I love it!!!
You are great Geriann!
You sooooo let Jesus work through you. You see where He is working and you work right along side Him.
You inspire me!!!
Big hugs~
Lynda

Anonymous said...

that is a great idea!!
i will be more than happy to be a part of your great dare!!

Not only am i honored to be a WELCOMED guest at girls night out last month - it is an honor bigger than words to be your sister!!

you are an incredible woman/friend/sister!!

thank you for keeping me honest in my very young true faith and relationship with God and people!!

love you

T

Anonymous said...

how does one find your paypal account?

Ger said...

Ok, let's see where this goes!!If you go to www.paypal.com and send money to wiesbrooks@comcast.net

All money will be held there until our monthly girls night out and then used to purchase whatever we do for the month (this month it will be flowers/potted plants for a nursing home)