Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Whip it Up Wednesday


I have to go to a potluck Friday, so I'm cruising my healthy meal planning sites and was reminded of this delicious salad I made for Easter. It's Cucumber Pineapple Salad...so light and refreshing. You can cut down on the sugar even more, I think. Like half of that would work. Now to find the strawberry poppyseed one.

Serves 4

Ingredients
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 cup fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 carrot, peeled and julienne
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion (I'd also cut this in half...they all got picked out anyway)
4 cups torn salad greens
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted

Directions
In a heavy saucepan, bring the sugar, vinegar and water to a boil. Stir constantly until reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and place in the refrigerator until cool. Add the pineapple. Cover and return to the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Add the cucumbers, carrots and red onions to the pineapple mixture. Toss well.
To serve, divide the salad greens among the plates. Top with the pineapple mixture and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.

And here are a couple of cards I'm VERY proud of!! I learned how to make shape cards on my Design Studio. These are both from Create a Critter and done completely from scraps.






No comments: